Posted in Posts and podcasts

St. Coman’s, Kinvara – 1866

Freeman’s Journal 8th December, 1866 p.4

Engraving, St. Coman's Photo: Norma Scheibe
Engraving, St. Coman’s
Photo: Norma Scheibe

The Council during its sitting considered a requisition sent to it by the guardians of the Gort Union to close Kinvara burial ground, alleging that it was overcrowded and intramural. The inhabitants petitioned the Council not to close the burial ground, stating that there was ample accommodation, and that the sanitary condition of the town would not be injured by the burial ground being left open. The Rev Francis Arthur P.P. attended the council to support the petition. The council having considered that there was not sufficient reason for closing the burial ground refused to make an order for enclosing. The petitioners were represented by Messrs Blackburne, Mullens and Mr R B Forster.