The history and antiquities of the diocese of Kilmacduagh
J. Fahy 1893
McGill and Son Dublin
The Parish and Church of Kinvara-
In the existing parish of Kinvara we have the union of the three ancient parishes of Kiloveragh, Kilena, and Durus. We cannot say when they were united, but we have no doubt that the union exists for some three centuries at least. As regards the existing ruined church in the town of Kinvara, it may be interesting to know that, in the opinion of Mr. O’Donovan, it is not more than five hundred years old, and that it stands on the site of the old church of St. Coman.
The ancient church of Durus does not appear to have attracted the attention of antiquarians. We would wish to think it may have been the church of St. Colman Hy Fiachrach, but feel obliged to confess that we have no historical data to support the supposition. It is situated on a gentle eminence overlooking the bay. There was an oratory to St. Kyran on the adjoining strand, where the patron’s day was. Hardly a trace of the oratory remains. The ancient church of Kilena is still extant.