Posted in Posts and podcasts

Crushoa wedge tomb – 1969

Connacht Tribune 10th October, 1969 p.21

Down by the shore Photo: Norma Scheibe
Down by the shore
Photo: Norma Scheibe

Another 4,000 year old tomb has been found in County Galway, as a result of information supplied by Mr William O’Brien, Land Reclamantion Officer, Renmore, Galway. The tomb, situated on the land of Mr J.W. Duane, Crushoa, Kinvara, is a gallery type wedge grave, somewhat smaller than the one recently described found on the land of Mr Des Kerrins at Ballinastague. The chamber dimensions are approximately as follows;
Length – 8 feet;
width 6 feet 6 ins;
Height – 4 feet;
Children of the Fahy family Crushoa, Martha, Sarah and Josephine, were delighted to point out the location of the tomb to the visitors who verified its authenticity, the visitors being, Mr Sean O’Nuallain, Archaeological Officer in the Ordnance Survey’ Mr P.G. Coen, M.P.S.I. Gort; V. Rev Fr. Martin Ryan, P.P. Ruane, a leading member of the Thomond Archaeological Society; Mr E. Rynne, lecturer in Celtic Archaeology, U.C.G. and Mr E. Fox, Galway

Posted in Posts and podcasts

Anti-Conscription meeting, Kinvara – 1918

Connacht Tribune 11th May, 1918 p.2

Wikimedia Commons
Wikimedia Commons

A large and enthusiastic meeting for the purpose of protesting against the conscription menace was held at Kinvara on Sunday week. The meeting was addressed by the Rev. J. W. O”Meehan B.D., C.C. (Chairman); Rev. J. Keeley, C.C; Dr. T.J.Connolly; T.P. Corless; P.J.Flatley; J.Kilkelly and F.J. Johnston.
The nine Anti-Conscription Committee members (image on left);
Arthur Griffith, Eamon de Valera, John Dillon, Joe Devlin, William O’Brien, Thomas Johnson, Michael Egan, Timothy Michael Healy, William X. O’Brien.

Posted in Posts and podcasts

Dances at New York – 1931

Connacht Tribune 11th April, 1931 p.22

New York City 1932  Photo: Samuel Gottscho Library of Congress Wikimedia Commons
New York City 1932
Photo: Samuel Gottscho
Library of Congress
Wikimedia CommonsDances at New York

The New West of Ireland Ballroom at 884 Columbus Avenue, New York, recently taken over by the two Galway partners, Mike Tierney and Bob Connolly, is enjoying a wonderful patronage. A successful Galway dance was held there on Sunday night which brought patrons hailing from Kinvara, Gort, Loughrea, Tuam and Ballinasloe.

Posted in Posts and podcasts

Kinvara Promenade – 1966

Connacht Tribune 16th April, 1966 p.9

Photo: EO'D
Photo: EO’D

Miss C. Nally, a member of Kinvara’s oldest families, offered to donate some of her property in the harbour area in the interests of the residents who are considering their town as a tourist centre, and the project of constructing a promenade was discussed. All householders were called upon to co-operate in beautifying their premises and the site of a community centre was decided upon.

Posted in Posts and podcasts

S.S. Muenchen and the Dun Aengus – Galway – 1928

Irish Examiner 7th May, 1928 p.5

S.S. Muenchen Wikimedia Commons
S.S. Muenchen
Wikimedia Commons

The Lloyd liner Muenchen, which left Bremen for New York in the early hours of Thursday, sailed up Galway Bay shortly before three o’clock yesterday afternoon, and anchored on the roadside not far from the lighthouse. Simultaneously the Galway Bay Steamboat Company’s steamboat, Dun Aengus, which acted as tender, left the Dun Aengus dock, carrying 150 passengers for New York and the States. Of these 100 were third class passengers, from the counties of Galway, Mayo, Roscommon, Clare and Limerick, the remainder being tourist and cabin class passengers, many of whom were returning from holidays in Ireland, or going to America on a visit to relatives.

Pending the erection of the disinfecting station, close by Galway docks, disinfecting facilities were afforded in the Galway Central Hospital, where everything worked smoothly under the supervision of Dr.Michael Davitt, resident physician; Dr Vondelour of Cove, Mr Kennedy, Cove, and the staff recently appointed by the Galway Urban Council.  A fleet of motor cars quickly transferred passengers from the Limerick steamship Co’s Lloyd’s agency offices at the docks to the inspection station.

So great was the interest in the first westbound sailing that has taken place from Galway for a generation, that enormous crowds from all parts of Connacht gathered in the city from early morning. As the tender was leaving the docks the crowd was so great that they broke through the barrier and a small and inadequate police posse. It was only with the active co-operation of the Limerick Steamship Co’s and Galway Harbour officials that they were kept from crowding on to the tender.

The DunAengus put the passengers and a number of visitors aboard the S.S.Muenchen at 3.30, the ship’s band rendering popular Irish airs the while. The Board of Trade Inspectors, immigration authorities, and Customs officials got through their duties with smoothness and celerity, and the liner sailed up the sunlit bay, which was smooth as a sheet of glass, on her westward course shortly before five o’clock. As she passed southwestward along the promenade at Salthill, a great farewell cheer that could be heard out at sea rang up from the crowds that lined the front.

Photo; Norma Scheibe
Photo; Norma Scheibe

During the brief period the Muenchen remained in Galway an interesting function took place on the captain’s bridge. Mr Philip O’Gorman, J.C., President of the Galway Chamber of Commerce, accompanied by the Secretary and some members, handed to Captain Wittstein of the Muenchen a letter of greeting from the Galway Chamber of Commerce to the President of the New york Chamber. Captain Wittstein said he would gladly bear the letter personally and convey the good wishes of the citizens of Galway, whose beautiful and sheltered bay would, he felt sure, be more closely linked up with the Port of New York as the years passed by. Last Christmas he entered the bay without a pilot. It was safe and open, and afforded as secure an anchorage for a big liner as there was in the world.

Posted in Posts and podcasts

A Gallant Rescue – 1872

Freeman’s Journal 11th March, 1872 p.3

County Clare  Photo: Norma Scheibe
County Clare
Photo: Norma Scheibe

On the 2nd inst a boat from the County Clare, with a cargo of seaweed on board, struck on a sunken rock about a quarter of a mile from the lighthouse on the Beeves Rock, and six men and a girl, its occupants, were in a moment struggling in the sea. Mr E Rohu, the lighthouse keeper, perceiving the accident, at once launched a small gunning boat and at great risk of his life, the waves sweeping clean over his frail vessel, succeeded in saving the lives of the seven poor people. The brave fellow made three trips to land, his boat being able to carry but two persons at a time. The last saved was utterly exhausted, and on the point of sinking when he had returned to the rescue. The act was a gallant one and merits the notice of the Royal Human Society.

Posted in Posts and podcasts

Mr Patrick Griffin – Kinvara – 1919

Connacht Tribune 14th June, 1919 p 4

Photo: EO'D
Photo: EO’D

To Mr Patrick Griffin, blacksmith, Kinvara, belongs the credit of shoeing a horse belonging to Hodgins’ Circus that failed all the blacksmiths on their line of march. The horse was one of the wildest type and broke all the available car ropes in the town with which he was manacled but eventually he had to yield to the plucky son of Vulcan.

Posted in Posts and podcasts

Aughnish – 1914

Connacht Tribune 1st August, 1914 p.3 (abridged)

Martello Tower, Aughnish Wikimedia Commons

The United Irish League visit Aughnish
Ever since the evictions on the island, or rather, peninsula of Aughnish, the Galway branch of the United Irish League have taken a deep interest in the condition of the islanders, and it was with a view of learning the true state of affairs that the energetic Secretary, Mr. P. Ussher, accompanied by a representative of the “Tribune,” paid a visit to Aughnish island on Sunday.  A stout sailing boat was requisitioned and the trip across the Bay in ideal weather was much enjoyed. After a cruise of nearly two hours the party landed at New Quay, and then took a smaller boat across the narrow channel to the island.

full article in Kinvara and beyond at theburrenandbeyond.com