Irish Examiner 17th July, 1914 p.5 (abridged)
By the Volunteers of North Tipperary it is persistently rumoured that on Sunday week a cargo of arms, supposed to be from the Tipperary Men’s Association in America, was landed at Finavarra Point, West Galway. In the days following, the arms, it is alleged, were brought by night by easy stages, by the various Volunteer corps in West Galway, through Gort, Woodford and Williamstown, reaching the latter village on Saturday night last. Here the arms were received by a number of volunteers from the Tipperary side of Lough Derg, and in the course of the night were transferred by boat to Terryglass. Next day (Sunday) while the Volunteers of North Tipperary were mobilised at Nenagh, and while the police of the district were on special duty in that town, the arms, it is alleged, were hidden in a bog. The strictest secrecy was observed while the arms were in transit and it was only when they were well under cover that the information leaked out.
In view of the above rumour it is interesting to note that the commander of the Nenagh corps last even when dismissing his men publicly informed them opposite the Literary Institute that they would be in possession of rifles next week.