Posted in Posts and podcasts

Missing Friends – 1873/4

The Pilot 19th April, 1873 p5

Photo: EO'D
Photo: EO’D

Michael Bohanan, a native of Gelha (Geeha?), Kinvara, County Galway, who came to this country 21 years ago; he served some time in the late American War; when last heard from he was in St. Louis, Mo, Information concerning him will be received by his brother Stephen Bohanan, Geneva, Ontario County, N.Y.

24th April, 1874
Michael Kelly, a native of the parish of Kinvara, County Galway; father’s name Patrick Kelly and mother’s name Eilen Cavanagh, who sailed from Londonderry seven years ago last March; he worked in the State of New York; he left there and went to Chester county, Pa., and worked there until January 1981 when he went to Philadelphia and enlisted in the navy. Information of him will be received by his brothers, James and Peter Cavanagh, Address James Cavanagh, Millstone Point, Waterbury, Connecticut

Posted in Posts and podcasts

The Voyage of the Ua Corra

Nation 27th June, 1874 P4 (abridged)

Kinvara Sunset Photo; Norma Scheibe
Kinvara Sunset
Photo; Norma Scheibe

Ua Corra was a professor of the black art, who did not hesitate to hold direct communication with the devil.  He dragged his wife into a partnership in necromancy. They had three sons who also surrendered themselves to the evil spirit. Their loyalty to his satanic majesty was intense and was not confined to words. Its sincerity was proved by action, and action of a most desperate kind. These three brothers, at the head of a band of desperadoes, burned the churches and monasteries and murdered their inmates. While their hands were still red with the blood of their victims, God, in a vision, gave them a glimpse of the unspeakable torments of hell, which roused them to a deep sense of their guilt, and to an earnest wish to repent.
They entered the monastery of Magh Bile, where, after expiating their crimes by a long course of penance, they resolved to make restitution, as far as possible, for the ruin they had wrought. Accordingly they set to work to restore the churches they had demolished.
While engaged on the church of St. Coman (or Cainin), at Ceann Mara, now Kinvara (a little town pleasantly situated on the Bay of Galway), they witnessed a sunset of unusual magnificence.
The bright orb, as it descended into the Atlantic, turned it into a stripe of gleaming gold. The gorgeous sight inspired the idea of an Elysium, and the enthusiastic brothers determined to go out under that distant horizon, float over those golden waters, and be near the sun as it sank into the waves.
Having fitted up a bark they set sail from Kinvara, and roamed over the mighty water for many years. In their wanderings they came upon islands teeming with nature’s richest and rarest gifts.

Posted in Posts and podcasts

Ballyvaughan Regatta – 1874

Tuam Herald 26th September, 1874 p.2

Ballyvaughan Harbour Photo: Bob Jones Wikimedia Commons
Ballyvaughan Harbour
Photo: Bob Jones
Wikimedia Commons

The Ballyvaughan Regatta came off on Wednesday, at the village of Ballyvaughan, situate in the county Clare, and about eight miles from Galway across the bay. It was conducted under the patronage of the members of Parliament for Clare and the local gentry. The weather was most propitious, the day being exceedingly fine, and, by the way, was complained of by the ladies as being oppressive.
The number of spectators was very large, and not alone were the lovers of aquatics in Clare afforded an opportunity of enjoying themselves, but so also were the people of Galway, as the splendid little vessel, the Citie of the Tribes, gave an excursion trip from Galway at eleven O’clock, by permission of the directors, thus affording as enjoyable a day’s amusement as could be wished for, and one of the best your correspondent has enjoyed for some time. The sports consisted of seven races and were exceedingly contested and most creditably conducted.

Posted in Posts and podcasts

The Floating Hospital – 1874

Liffey Bridge Wikimedia Commons
Liffey Bridge
Wikimedia Commons

Freeman’s Journal 7th February, 1874

THE FLOATING HOSPITAL FOR DUBLIN

The Daily Express thus describes the Floating Hospital for Dublin which has been built by Messrs. Walpole, Webb, and Bewley, and which was launched on Saturday, November 8:

‘ The vessel, which has been, built in about the space of six weeks, is of rectangular shape, fifty- seven feet in length overall and twenty-eight feet broad. It is simple in appearance, very substantially built, and well suited to its purpose. A broad ladder is fastened to one end of the deck, which can be let down when required for the admission of patients. Another broad staircase leads from the deck, or, so to speak, the roof of the hospital, to the wards below, of which there are three, the vessel being divided into three compartments, which, by means of sliding doors, can be completely shut off from each other, if necessary. Each ward hold six beds, and might be made to hold more. There is at one end a kitchen and a nurses’ room. At the other is the surgery. The sides are devoted to stores and to various other minor details of construction. The height from the floor of the wards to the skylight, which runs along the centre of the upper deck or roof, is ten feet six inches. The general look of the floating hospital is cheerful and lightsome.