Posted in Posts and podcasts

All Hallows – Trinity – 1906

Freemans Journal 1st November, 1906 p.15 (abridged)

 Line drawing of the arms of Trinity College, Dublin, as illustrated in "College Histories: Trinity College Dublin" by W Macneile Dixon. Creative Commons.
Line drawing of the arms of Trinity College, Dublin, as illustrated in “College Histories: Trinity College Dublin” by W Macneile Dixon.
Creative Commons.

All Saint’s Day irresistibly revives the recollection of the fact that Trinity College Dublin occupies the site of the dissolved Monastery of All Hallows, or All Saints, and is thus not only in receipt of the revenues of plundered abbeys, like the Abbeys of Kilmacrenan and Asseroe in Donegal but actually is built on the ground once occupied by an “essentially Catholic” institution.

All Hallows Monastery was literally razed to the ground. In Trinity College at the present day there is only one relic from the time of the existence of All Hallows – a mulberry tree in the Provost’s garden is shown to the visitor as the sole survivor in that institution of the “pre-Reformation” period. In St. Werburg’s Protestant Church, in whose vaults Lord Edward Fitzgerald is buried, there are two antique monumental slabs with effigies. They are supposed to have formed portions of the tombs of the Abbots of All Hallows, which were preserved by pious hand from absolute destruction of the “suppression” of that home of religion and useful learning.