QUEENSLAND TIMES 28TH NOVEMBER, 1863 abridged
Owing to the great revolution which has taken place in war material, both for naval and military purposes, it has been decided to reconstruct (sic.) a great many of the martello towers around the Irish coast, it having been found from experiments with the Armstrong guns against similarly constructed towers in some parts of England, that they are entirely useless as works of defence.
At a late inspection of all the fortifications in Ireland, it was found that in some parts of the coast some of these towers were manned, armed, and kept in a state of repair at great expense to the public. As much from their position as from their useless construction, they were quite incapable of rendering the slightest service, either offensive or defensive. Consequently the whole of the towers in Galway Bay, also the tower and battery at Drogheda, have been dismantled, and the guns, stores, and artillerymen withdrawn. The buildings have been taken posession of by the the Barrack Department. We believe it is in contemplation also to withdraw the guns and stores from the towers in Dublin Bay, north and south.